Hosted by: Miami Innovation Corporation DBA Startup-Miami
How to Raise Startup Capital – a Behind the Scenes View
Date: July 18, 2012
Place: 600 Brickell – 14th Floor Conference Room, Miami FL 3313
Remember that funding is just a tool; it is not the end game. The decision of taking your startup from an early-stage friends and family round, to getting venture-backed or outside investors changes everything.
• How do you decide when you’re ready to seek investment?
• How do you make the most of your time with prospective investors?
• What can you do to start preparing for the transition?
• How can you work most effectively with the new board members joining your startup?
• When is the time to start thinking about raising funds?
Location: Brickell on the River – 41 S.E. 5th Street, Club Room, Miami FL 33131
Next door to 5th street Metro Mover station. Easy parking at inexpensive lots around Mary Brickell.
6:30 PM – 7:15 PM Networking – meet and greet!
7:30 PM Early Shares www.EarlyShares.com
Crowd Funding was signed into law April 5th, 2012. The Jumpstart Our Business Startups (JOBS) Act will make it easier for small businesses and entrepreneurs to obtain much needed access to capital. Come learn how crowd funding can change the stage.
8:00 PM James Rohrbach CEO and Executive Director Startup-Miami www.StartUp-Miami.com
Mr. Rohrbach is a former Investment Banker. James’s real strength is his ability to open doors for others, serving as a conduit for new opportunities and growth by—connecting people and ideas. Unlike TechStars and Y Combinator programs they offer start dates each month except December.
8:15 PM Shawn Kernes Chief Larkr @ Larkr www.Larkr.com
Shawn breathes startup. He enjoys the highs and lows of starting a company and making it successful. Shawn brings over 15 years of serious experience in building and managing teams. He was the founding CTO at StubHub, an online marketplace for sports, concerts and theater events tickets that was acquired by eBay.
8:45 PM Patrick Riley Global Accelerator Network www.globalacceleratornetwork.com
Started by TechStars the Global Accelerator Network currently has 57-program locations worldwide. The Global Accelerator Networks is an affiliation of mentorship-driven accelerators. Patrick started his career working for W.L. Gore and Associates where last years sales were $3 billion. Later Patrick managed the west coast sales and operations for a venture backed healthcare technology company. Following his passion to support start-up companies around the world, Patrick moved into his current role at the Global Accelerator Network. Based in Denver
9:30 PM Networking – End of July 18th Program
Hosted by: Miami Innovation Corporation DBA Startup-Miami, EarlyShares.Com,
600 Brickell World Plaza, Foram Group, Inc., Global Accelerator Network and Larkr
Directions to 600 Brickell Avenue, Miami FL 33131 Suite 1400
From the South
– North on US1 to I95 North
– Exit SW 8th Street
– Make a right on to SW 8th Street, go straight to Brickell Avenue
– Make a left, go 1 block to SW 7thstreet
– Make a left at SW 7th street
– First available right into the Building, proceed to parking garage.
From the North
– Take I95 South to Biscayne Boulevard
– 1st right off the ramp (Brickell Avenue)
– Go over bridge to South West 7thstreet, make a right
– First available right into the building, proceed to parking garage.